Monday, June 6, 2011

Prince Rupert to Juneau

I am a bit nervous when heading for the ferry on Saturday morning on June 4. I have to clear customs and there is always the possibility that they will refuse me entry. The ferry is scheduled to leave at 9:15am. Cars have to be there by 6:00am but I was told to be there at 8:15am. I arrive a bit early and there is a long lineup of cars. I am allowed to jump the Q. The customs officer wants to know where I am going and what foods I am carrying. Halfway through the list of food stuff he stops me and tellls me it is all good and healthy, stamps my passport and wishes me a good trip. We are now in the USA!
The trip on the ferry is relaxing. That is good, we will be on this ferry for 26 hours.
The weather is a bit on the cool side and typical for the west coast. Low hanging clouds and scattered showers. Later in the day some blue patches appear now and then and we can see a bit more of the mountains. Several killer whales are spotted but I miss them. On the upper deck is a solarium with recliners where I make a bed with my thermarest and sleeping bag. There are radiant heaters on the ceiling. I have a good night's sleep on the recliner.



The next day we can see a bit more of the mountains. We are looking at the Tongass National Forest, the largest temperate rainforest in North America according to the pamflet I am reading.




At one time we pass a small iceberg, a clear indication that glaciers are not far off.



The Matanuska (name of the ferry) arrives on time at 11:15 in Aukbay, about 20km from Juneau. I have a route in my GPS to get me to a State Park with campground, about 9km from the ferry terminal. Just before I turn into the park a good size black bear crosses the road in front of me, I can hear his claws on the pavement. Houses are nearby and I hear a lot of dogs barking. The camping fee for a senior is $5 per night and showers are free. This is the best bargain! My camping site is on Mendenhall lake and that lake is at the base of the glacier with the same name. There are chunks of ice floating in the lake. I will not go for a swim!


After making camp we explore Juneau. Great to be on the bike again. When I leave the campground it is 10degC and in downtown Juneau it is 22degC. That glacier keeps things quite cool.
Juneau is the state capital and the population is 31000. Although it is on the mainland, there is no road out. Downtown is very touristic, it is a cruise ship stop.
Back on the campground I hang my food in a tree ( not an easy task), have my free shower and have my first night in the tent. A few showers overnight. At 2:30 I wake up for a while and it is already getting light, the birds are already active.
It is 8 degC when I get up. Plan is the go to Juneau again today for a blog update and to buy stuff for the trip.
I already bought naphta for my whisperlight and a small airhorn to scare off a curious bear (thanks for suggesting that Bob!)  On the way back to the campground I pick up bearspray, they have it at Walmart.
I am writing this update to the blog in the Juneau Public Library. Internet use is free but only available in blocks of 30 min. My time is almost up.

4 comments:

  1. Hallo Dick
    Dat waren weer mooie verhalen jongen!!
    Het is weer een mooi avontuur wat ik hier lees. En tot zover is je planning prima. Daar zal je heel wat tijd in hebben gestoken denk ik.
    Lijkt wel of ik er bij ben. Wat een mooie foto's ook.
    Goed dat je nu een "dubbele" beerbescherming hebt want zeldzaam zijn de daar niet!!!
    Geniet van je verdere reis en ben al weer benieuwd naar je volgende etappe.
    Groet Gerhard

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dick,
    Lunchbreak at work and reading your blog. It puts in new light at challenges i'm facing
    here. I admire you for taking Bob for this ride!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoi Dick!
    Heb je blog in fases gelezen!!Wat een avontuur weer,he?En wat bijzonder, dat wij op deze manier er weer een beetje bij kunnen zijn!!Wat een prachtige foto's weer en je reisverslag is goed te volgen!
    Weet nu hoe je alles onthoudt!!Dat heb je de vorige keer al uitgelegd!!
    Gelukkig heb je je nu "gewapend" tegen het "gebeerte" en vergeet niet je tanden te laten zien en vervaarlijk te grommen!!
    Vond de foto's van Toronto en Winnipeg ook leuk zeg!! Wat een uitgebreide familie al,he? En welk een bijzonder vooruitzicht als je terugkomt om ál je eigenste familie om je heen te hebben!!
    Behalve je avonturen, ook een rijkdom , nietwaar?
    Lieve broer, hou je haaks (nog last van je schouder??)geniet van al het moois onderweg en tot de volgende keer! Dikke kus van Christel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Dick,
    What adventures and happy to see that you are in Juneau. Happy to hear about the bear spray& airborne, one cannot be too careful....
    Take good care of yourself and stay safe.
    Fran & John

    ReplyDelete